PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor
Broadreach is a PADI 5-star facility and offers courses from Open Water through Divemaster. Over the past twenty five years, over 17,000 students have participated on our experiential education programs to over 40 countries. With programs for middle school, high school and college aged students, Broadreach courses span the globe exploring extraordinary destinations and fascinating topics through hands-on instruction with the ocean as the classroom.
Critical to our success is our team of knowledgeable program leaders who inspire students, foster personal growth and cultivate future leaders. Broadreach instructors prioritize safety and risk management while also serving as mentors and friends to their students. They are engaging, energetic, and fun role models who enjoy building meaningful relationships with students. Leading a Broadreach program is a rewarding, exciting, and demanding position.
We are looking for PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors to lead teen diving programs in the Bahamas, Bali, the Caribbean, Fiji, Mexico and more. Programs range from 12 to 24 days and can be mentally and physically taxing for students and instructors which makes maintaining a positive attitude key. Programs are limited to 12 students led by a team of two to three instructors. Dive instructors work alongside a marine biologist, skipper, or another dive instructor to successfully lead a program from academics to leading onshore activities and more.
In addition to teaching diving, instructors work with their co-leader to supervise students 24/7, facilitate group dynamics, assist students with cooking and cleaning duties, lead games, support academics and other program activities. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun, positive and cohesive community are all important requirements.
Contracts vary from one to three months starting in late May through early to late August.
- PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certification with active teaching status.
- Previous experience working with teens or young adults, preferably in a camp or 24/7 setting.
- Passion for mentoring and motivating students and fostering cultural understanding.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills, able to work without direct supervision and adaptable to often changing, dynamic environments.
- Demonstrated success working on diverse teams with a collaborative mindset.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or willingness to obtain certification before programs begin strongly preferred. An additional stipend is provided for staff with the WFR certification or higher.
- Physical fit to actively participate in outdoor adventure activities such as hiking, rafting, community service activities, etc.
- Great communication skills and a professional demeanor to serve as a Broadreach ambassador to our international partners throughout the world.
- Specialty teaching certifications or willingness to obtain some of the following: underwater naturalist, boat diver, peak performance buoyancy diver, AWARE-coral reef conservation, AWARE-fish identification, night diver, wreck diver, and deep diver.
- Must be able to attend staff training in early June in either North Carolina or St. Martin.
- Some programs require a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle.
- Background in marine biology preferred.
- Sailing experience ideal for our Caribbean programs.
- Open availability from late May to late August strongly preferred.