Midnight. A turtle nests on a moonlit beach. Researchers measure her and count eggs. The night air is quiet, save for the sounds of nearby howler monkeys. All that’s missing is you.
Spend 3 weeks nesting in Costa Rica, the ultimate place to study endangered sea turtles. Work on the beaches of Tortuguero, the largest green turtle nesting sites in the Western Hemisphere. Your part in this turtle opera is assistant researcher. Work alongside biologists, measuring the turtles’ carapace and flippers. Count eggs and diagram nests. Record every step they take. By day, it’s turtle studies: behavior, mating patterns, conservation.By nightfall, it’s back to the beach for hands-on field work. On this adventure, boredom is extinct.
“Working with the sea turtles was amazing and I will never forget spotting my first turtle.” — Madeleine Ruff, New York, NY
- Tag turtles and collect data for the Sea Turtle Conservancy
- Whitewater raft the thrilling Sarapiqui River
- Zip line tree-to-tree on a jungle canopy tour
- See toucans, crocodiles, herons, monkeys, tree frogs and yes, turtles
- Do a service project with local Costa Rican students
- Snorkel and kayak in search of dolphins, turtles and humpbacks in Drake Bay
What are my next steps?
Costs & Dates
Choose current grade to view
costs and trip dates
Earn & Learn More information >
- 3 College Credits
- 25 Community Service Hours
Read about Broadreach in the news! Over the years, Broadreach has been featured in a variety of magazines and newspapers around the world. Check out some of our great press! >
- Experience Required
- No experience necessary