Earn & Learn Options
Every Broadreach program combines your thirst for fun and adventure with tangible skill development, real-world educational opportunities and a genuine commitment to service. We offer an array of certifications and credentials on every trip. It’s what we call “Earn & Learn,” and it’s what you’ll take home as evidence of your many accomplishments.
Bahamas Marine Biology offers 3 natural science college credits through Lesley University. Additionally, students earn 10+ hours of documented community service and multiple PADI certifications.
ACADEMICS & COLLEGE CREDIT
The ocean covers more than 70% of Earth’s surface and contains nearly 99% of the planet’s available living space. Within this realm, many unique and diverse species collectively help to create a complex world of interacting communities. Perhaps the most diverse and beautiful of these marine communities are found in tropical environments. This course will examine the biology and ecology of tropical marine communities and illustrate research techniques and equipment that marine biologists commonly use. In addition to classroom time, students dive daily to explore the environments they are studying in class.
- By the end of the course, students will demonstrate:
- A greater interest in the oceans and marine life
- An appreciation of the importance of life in the oceans to the history of life on the planet
- The ability to identify and describe the diversity of life found in the oceans
- An understanding of the how individuals, populations and communities interact with each other and their physical environment
- An appreciation of the fragility of marine communities and an understanding of the major threats to the health of these communities
- An understanding of how marine biologists conduct research in the field and in labs in order to better understand ecological and evolutionary relationships
- Experience conducting group research in marine ecology
- Experience collecting, analyzing and interpreting data so that it may be presented in a scientifically acceptable format
During this 25-day biology adventure, students will learn fundamental diving skills and complete 25+ scuba dives, for which they may earn multiple certifications including:
- PADI Open Water Diver
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
- PADI Underwater Naturalist
- PADI AWARE Fish Identification
- PADI AWARE Coral Reef Conservation
Through service, we gain a more meaningful connection to the cultures and communities we explore while taking an active role to address important global issues that impact the communities. While in the Bahamas, we assist researchers at Gerace Research Centre on conservation and environmental projects and work with Gerace on environmental education projects for children.
- Design and carry out fish population surveys for REEF
- Assist with educating local children on marine appreciation
- Help the Gerace Research Centre with monitoring projects
What are my next steps?
At a Glance
Earn & Learn More information about credit >
- 3 College Credits
- 5 Available Certifications
- 10 Community Service Hours
- 55 Hours